BUG has specialist expertise in designing and conducting fish surveys for a wide range of species. Capabilities include:
- Electric fishing – fully quantitative or semi quantitative multi-species electric fishing surveys.
- Seine netting – marginal seine net surveys, including larval and juvenile fish.
- Fyke netting – particularly useful for determining presence/absence of benthic species, such as eel.
- Bespoke sampling design – sampling glass eels and other cryptic species using novel methodologies.
- Tagging/Tracking studies – acoustic telemetry, PIT tagging
- eDNA – developing techniques for identifying presence/absence of invasive fish species.